Tuesday, November 13, 2012

All at once.

We have a tendency to make changes all at once. 

This summer we decided to move across the country..and then found out we were pregnant.  Nothing like mixing two incredibly emotional changes together. 

This week.  
Brad is out of town for a whole week
I started my new job
Noah is going to daycare for the first time ever

This morning I was just a little high strung.  I got up super early and packed everything up because I was so afraid we would be late.  

(The daycare shares a parking lot with the hospital but I felt I needed to be 45 minutes early- just in case haha)

Work is going well.  I mean...it's all just classroom this week.  I keep comparing it to Heart Hospital.  I have to say...that's a little unfair to my new job.  I mean it's just a totally different ball game. The other nurses starting with me are very nice, one of them is also starting in ICU with me so that's nice.  

Yesterday I had a minor breakdown as I found out I was scheduled for both Thursday and Friday night this week, after having orientation M-W and then with Brad being out of town.  Thankfully, it was easily correctable...so I'm off the schedule for the unit until the 27th.  My breakdown lasted all of 45 seconds..and it was completely internal, but you know how I've talked about the ugly cry.  I had a moment where I thought "OH NO- WHAT DID I DO?!"  In 45 seconds my thought trail was something along the lines of this: 

I'm scheduled this week?
Why didn't they call me?
What would have happened if I didn't come up here today and clarify?
SERIOUSLY, why didn't they call me? 
I can't work those days...
How on earth will we figure this out? 
Wait- WHAT- I'm orienting on NIGHT SHIFT?
This isn't a night shift position.
RIGHT? 
Or is it? 
OH MY GOODNESS- did I take a nights position.?
No.  
No...they said it was both...

30 second pause for conversation with my supervisor something like the following:  

Our conversation was something like this in all of 30 seconds:
Me: "Oh I'm working this week?  Or are those going to be taken off since we're orienting?"
J: Oh no we'll just take you off of those.
Me: "Oh ok..and I'm orienting nights? This is a day and nights position right?
J: Oh yeah definitely, we just needed to get you on the schedule.
Me: Got it...I will orient days too?
J: Definitely. 

My brain: AMEN! Thank you. Rachael, seriously, breathe you big freak. 

P.S. I went back today to get it all figured out and the schedule ended up perfectly.  Seriously, I'm actually really excited about starting.  If only my brain could get it under control.  

Oh well.  Makes for entertaining thoughts. One more day of work and daycare.  WOOO .  

P.S. Sitting in a chair for 8 hours..while pregnant.  Just not that fun.  I think they may think I'm weird with as much as I reposition during those classes.  

No comments: