Thursday, December 29, 2011

My least favorite part of being a parent.

Our little man being sick.

Least favorite part.

EVER.

And can I just say...for the record...that I may have been a little naive- and I really in my head had the thought that Noah would never get sick while I was nursing him. That he would have like a super star immune system and never be at risk for sickness. Kid you not when he had his first ear infection last month...I seriously was shocked.

I'm a nurse.

I mean seriously. I should know better. :)

Anyways.

In the last two weeks Noah has had croup and then apparently that progressed itself right on into viral pneumonia. Boo.

Sweet little Noah kinda has no idea that he is even sick. He just goes around smiling and giggling at everyone like it's nothing. He's a little clingy, a little more fussy, and our great nights of sleep have been sadly interrupted..but all those things will pass.

However, taking that sweet child to the ER and then to an urgent care...and the xrays (oh my goodness children's xrays are just mean) well I've definitely learned that I don't like it, but that I sure am thankful for pediatricians, and ER doctors, and urgent care doctors who help our sicky little man get better.

Funny story..the night we went to the ER...we woke up at like 4:30am to Noah with stridor. Stridor. WHOA! If you don't know what that is...don't you worry..you'll probably be glad you don't because you won't make up crazy scenarios in your brain. Like I did..at 4:30am. I heard Noah on the monitor and seriously I FLEW out of bed. I grabbed Noah, went back to our bedroom, shook Brad to wake him up, and grabbed my phone to call the doctor. I clearly wasn't in my right mind because I panicked when I couldn't remember the number...which is saved in my phone.

I did figure it out and after I got off the phone with the doctor...I was standing there in our bedroom, with Brad, and I say "I need to call mom" You should have seen Brad's face. 4:30 am and that was my first thought after I got off the phone with the doctor. But I was convinced. So I called Mom and Dad's house and barely said anything that I can remember except I said "Mom listen to Noah what do I do?" She quickly told me to get him to the ER. (Seriously..I had just told Brad we needed to go to the ER, and then the doctor had confirmed it when I called, but I NEEDED Mom's confirmation.)

Timeout: Can I just say that stridor...when heard in the hospital setting that I work in..we get a little worked up about it. Like when you take a breathing tube out of someone that's the first thing you listen for...and if patients have it then they are at risk for being put back on the ventilator. So you have to know that at this point in the night, when it's my child and I'm hearing this noise...all I can think is HIS AIRWAY IS CLOSING!!! Rationally I can look at this now and laugh...but to be fair...he sounded BAD. Bad enough for Mom to tell me to take him to the ER.

Ok back to the story. It was cold that night. Not freezing obviously..but cold and damp for Texas. So by the time we got to the hospital...Noah no longer had stridor at all. In fact...he just smiled at the triage nurse- and at this point I'm thinking "Thank goodness they don't know I'm a nurse or I'll look really dumb." The guy even said...I'm not hearing any stridor now, and Noah's oxygen percentage was like 99%. I explained that I realized he looked fine now..but he had sounded BAD at home. Of course then the registration lady came in to verify our insurance and asked what my position was at the Heart Hospital- and when I said nurse even clarified that I was an RN in front of the triage nurse. He definitely gave me a look then.
Oh my goodness. I felt so silly. But oh well..Noah is safe, we were right he had croup, and he got treated right away.

P.S. He didn't have to get a breathing tube. Obviously.

No comments: