Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Can I just share with you...

Can I just share with you the way my brain works?

Just for a sec. Please don't judge the crazy...apparently when it's my child...I am able to get to crazy town very easily.

So the meds didn't make a difference for Noah this weekend - which I gotta say...is a tad discouraging.

Now..he's not any worse..at all. He just rides right at the same speed...breathing like a crazy man. At least 60 breaths/minute. Try that for a few minutes...you'll be dizzy.

So anyways...our little trooper continues to truck along with no change..and Mama and Daddy don't dig it.

Our pediatrician called on Monday to ask if there were any changes, and when I told him no, he told me to call the pulmonologist and let him know because we should have noticed significant differences.

So I did...and then my brain went crazy while I was waiting on them to call back.

Before I spoke to the doctor..I had almost convinced myself that Noah had diabetes. Diabetes...trust me..that's not a respiratory issue. :)

Let me just show you how I got there:
Noah has been breathing fast for weeks...but the last couple of days had gotten faster again.
He had been started on a steroid..which elevates blood sugar
Then Noah started leaking through is diapers overnight (like DUMPING urine-or so it seemed to me)
One of the symptoms of diabetes is frequent urination...so I thought that was what was happening
So I thought maybe because Noah was diabetic...and we were giving him steroids...we were sending him into DKA so he was working super hard to compensate using his respiratory system. (that goes a little deeper medically than you probably care about..but I was sure.)

I then called Brad and shared my fears. You can imagine that was well received. Hahaha.

Thankfully one of our dear friends is a doctor that I work with at the hospital..so I called him..and he talked me out of the crazy. A little medical reasoning from someone much smarter than myself and I was back to rational.

And thank goodness for that because when the nurse called back from the pulmonologist she definitely didn't need to have to deal with my crazy.

So anyways..we're kinda back to square one...little man had a chest xray yesterday which thankfully didn't show anything concerning...the downside to that is..no answers. So Noah will now have to have an upper GI endoscopy, and a swallow study to evaluate for reflux. This was ordered by the pulmonologist; however, Dr. Caldwell had also mentioned reflux yesterday when we spoke (don't you worry- that awesome dude has called Friday, Monday, and today to check on our little man) and today when we spoke he felt this was a good plan. So now we are just waiting for it to be scheduled.

Interestingly, Dr. Caldwell told me about 60% of people with asthma also have reflux...so maybe that's where we're headed. I can totally handle those...they are treatable.

So we are praying for answers..and we are thanking the Lord daily that while Noah isn't exactly as healthy as a horse as we would prefer..he's safe and happy and we're working towards answers. Plus..whatever this is totally doesn't affect his day...he is a playful crazy little man - so active and fun. I'm so thankful for that!

Anyways..that's it for tonight. Just wanted to share how my silly mind works. We're super excited because tomorrow we're having a play day with some friends and taking the kiddos to the zoo. So much fun! Have a great week!

3 comments:

Ryan and Jessica said...

Praying for sweet Noah. Hoping he feels better soon and you all are able to get some info. from the tests being scheduled. Keep us posted.

Grandma and Grandpa said...

Oh Rach & Brad ~ I know you're doing everything right. Believe me, I'm amazed that our 4 turned out to be so healthy as I was totally clueless! Love you all! G

Leah said...

My mind is kind of like yours. Hope you can get some answers! Sweet Noah!