Sunday, August 8, 2010

A skill I missed out on

Ironing. I hate it. Just thinking of it kinda makes me tingly with anger. That's right..anger. Which I realize is just crazy...I'm hoping it's just the crazy baby growing hormones that make me angry about ironing...but I wouldn't know because I literally just started ironing like two months ago. Convenient timing huh?

I seriously avoided it for a good 2 1/2 years of our marriage...but then I decided Brad's shirts looked sloppy for work and that I should fix it..since I am the reason they look sloppy. (In other words: I tend to leave things unfolded a little longer than they should be..which quickly results in wrinkles.) Well, my excuse was that our iron was bad...we had one that I used in college (maybe once) and when J.D. came to visit last summer it rusted his shirt...I'm so sorry friend...and so I declared it unusable. So I did some research and bought one I REALLY like...and I can be honest and say now that the reason I liked it was mainly because it was pretty. It's a shark iron and it really did have good reviews...so I bought it. I still didn't use it for a good two months.

Then I decided to try it, but I didn't want to use steam...I was afraid of the rust situation again...so I've been ironing for the last couple of months without steam. A few weeks ago we had a shower for Shauna and Aaron (pictures to come of that) and I was ironing the table cloths...Dave and Brad (men) informed me that it might be easier if I used steam..I didn't..and of course they easily wrinkled again after I ironed them. Boo.

So today, I gave in and tried with steam. I was feeling great as I started because you really could tell a difference...but then I finished with the first two shirts and discovered the arms are still wrinkled. AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH! I went to work and tried to fix them, but still. They are short sleeved shirts so I made the executive decision that Brad will bend his arms and they'll wrinkle anyways and no one will know the difference..so don't judge him if his armpits have wrinkles..it's my fault. I skipped ironing my sundress too...because really who cares if that's wrinkled?

Anyways...I KNOW my mother is good at ironing. I specifically remember 10 years of 4H and Lynette always saying Mom would always make the pieces we sewed look great because she pressed things so well. (And yes...my mother ironed my 4H projects..my dad fed my 4H pigs...I was not known to be a perfect 4Her.) I know she taught me...right mom? So I apparently just am not patient enough to do it. Boo.

So that's my skill I missed out on. I think instead of perfecting this..I will perfect the skill of taking the clothes out of the dryer immediately when they are done and hanging up the clothes that need to be...so we'll just avoid wrinkles completely! Woo!

In other news....the floors are really coming along! Brad is finishing up with the quarter round on the trim and the transition pieces today, and we plan to move some of the office furniture back in tonight. We also picked out trim paint and a couple of samples for the office and front room. Can't even lie...I'm SO excited about that!

Other news I'm excited about...
Shauna and Aaron and the kiddos that were placed with them this week. It's amazing to see God work in situations. It's amazing to see His had on the life of our friends. So thankful for how they follow Him!

Rox and Jake are having a baby! We're just about a month apart..that's just crazy and awesome!

Manders and Joey, Marisol and Vicente, and Nicole and Jesse all have babies due in just about a month! Can't believe that! So excited for them!

Times are changing..it's exciting!

Have a great week!

3 comments:

Ryan and Jessica said...

Rach - we must talk - I have tips :) I have probably only ironed a handful of times ... no joke! I dreaded the ironing part too...however I quickly learned some tricks that I'll have to share :) Ryan wears dress shirts to work every day and never do I iron them.
Hope you're feeling well. We're praying for the three of you :)

Welcome to the Bean Family Blog said...

Yes! i agree that there is a technique to ironing and making sure it doesn't get wrinkled again before you're even done. Also, i don't do steam...the rusty thing scares me but that might not be an issue with your special new iron. I either do lots of ironing of Brads shirts (since casual dress means still wearing a dress shirt) or hope he can wear one of the amazing brooks brothers non-iron shirt (totally worth the $$) that looks perfectly creased straight from the drier!

Standeford Stories said...

Hey Rach,
Like Jessica, we need to talk because Jake irons his dress shirts he wears daily each week! He takes pride in his ironing abilities, and I would do it if he so nicely asked, but he has always just done it (AWESOME!) because I hate ironing too...I do the 'ole "downey wrinkle release spray and throw it in the dryer for a few trick"...you should try it soon.
BTW, we have the shark and use steam most of the time and have had no problems. Starch spray is great for getting and keeping the wrinkles away.