Tuesday, January 25, 2011

So I hear we have a nursery.

So last night we basically put the finishing touches on the little guy's room. It was so exciting to be in there and know that he can come at any time. It's not like he'll even sleep in there for the first few weeks but still...he has a room in our house. He's a part of our home. I think that is so neat!

So here is some of the process of getting that room ready. This was from right after I got back from our first shower in Indiana. The room hadn't been painted yet, the carpet hadn't be replaced yet, and obviously all the guest room furniture was still hanging out. Around this time...I was going a little crazy with the disorganization.

The night we got the crib we were SO excited we wanted to put it together. It didn't happen though..because we realized if we put it together somewhere that wasn't in the nursery we were going to have to tear it all down again to get it into the room. Instead we just decided to pick all the pieces out and make sure they were there.
Then we moved it into the room where it waited for a few months for it's turn for glory.
Whoa. Chaos.
I don't have any before pictures of the dressers. Silly woman. This is one before though as I pulling out the old ugly contact paper and cleaning out the drawers.

After being refinished we found fun contact paper. Brad is AWESOME and helped me line every drawer. The dark and white finish on the dresser was the idea from younghouselove. It turned out exactly how I hoped! Working on the bed skirt...yet another idea from younghouselove. I kinda love their blog. I thin they have awesome ideas. Plus they're funny.
Brad working hard on the dresser. Number two dresser unfortunately did not work out as planned. It wouldn't stain..so we decided to paint it white...but then it was too much in the room because we found another piece for the changing table. Then we decided to put it in the closet as you'll see in the pictures, but then...we couldn't open up the drawers enough to use...so it's been relocated to the office. I'm super bummed. But that's ok because we still have a nursery that was exactly how we were hoping it would be.
Here's the finished bed. With the bed skirt. I know you can kinda see the metal..but I liked it better that way than making it secure under that mattress. Weird.
So here's the finished room! It's simple. I like simple.
Another view of the room. I have to tell you a secret. That chair..I was so determined to never own one of those (but Brad has wanted one for YEARS). So we go to IKEA and sit in the rocker..and it's SO comfortable! But I didn't really like the color. We decided to go for it though because of the awesome comfort and the price. I'm so glad we did! It's so perfect to sit in. Well then as we put it together Brad said..I could paint the frame white. Silly man..never offer to paint ANYTHING. I will take you up on it! So we may still do that. I haven't asked yet officially. But we might.
Another IKEA/Brad find. He's such a little smarty. We like it though! I love that he has a little library already! Mom and Dad got the little piggy bank at the covered bridge festival this year!
Finally finished letters...changed the plan. These were easier and only required cutting straight lines. :) That precious picture was drawn by our friends' daughter Melina! We just had to frame it and put it in his room.
His little closet! The dresser really does have three drawers..but there was a repair being completed on the middle drawer. This is the sweet little dresser that's now relocated to the office. The closet has doors now too. But I wanted to show the organization.
The inside of the dresser! The picture on top was painted by my sweet college roommate Summer. We've had it in our guest room since we've been married, but it fits perfectly in his room now. It's the outline of a girl praying. I think it's a beautiful picture. Plus it's so special from her.

So that's the room. It's been so fun. I love finding unique things, and anything handmade. It's just fun. I'm so excited to just sit in his room the next couple of weeks and just pray over this little man.

Life is awesome here. Now that the room is done...we just get to hang when we're home! :) I still need to work on the kitchen..but I don't feel stressed at all about it. So after a minor panic attack of "HOW ON EARTH CAN I CONTINUE TO WORK IF I DON'T SLEEP UNTIL MIDNIGHT AND GET UP AT 4:30???" last night...I decided it was time to ask to be taken off the schedule. Dr. Garza and Brad had already told me to do this..but I was stubborn and was afraid that it made me a wimp if I didn't work the 40th week, but seriously. I was scheduled Wednesday and Thursday and then he's due Friday. I can't imagine if he actually were to come when he's due..after getting up and working two 12 hour shifts in a row...that would have been silly. My boss rocks and took me off the schedule for that week. So only 5 more shifts and then I'm done for three months! YAY! Awesome!

I have to just say...my coworkers have been AMAZING during the last nine months. They help me turn and lift my patients..they don't let me do anything that's heavy. They don't make me feel bad about it. They're just awesome. It's wonderful. I'll miss them while I'm off.

So anyways...that was long winded! Have a great week. I think three posts in two days might be sufficient for the week (although Sarah I'm so impressed with the 5 you got up today!) Hope you have an amazing week!



3 comments:

Ellen said...

sooo excited for you guys! your post almost made me cry :) can't wait to see that little guy! hope you are still feeling well

Beth H said...

What a cute nursery! How fun!

LauraSuz said...

It looks wonderful! Dan and I love the orange and blue theme. We've always said we'll do that if we ever have a boy.

He'll be here before you know it!