Thursday, May 5, 2011

My heart hurts.

So this is a serious post. Bear with me. It's my soap box I guess..but it breaks my heart.

The innocence that is taken away from children these days...especially little girls..but also little boys. This world is so broken and lost.

Lately I've noticed this more and more -and I guess that's probably due to Noah- but the more and more I notice it..the more I ache for Jesus. I ache for Him to call these little children to himself.

I look at my sweet innocent child..and realize that he's going to experience things that I will hate...because of the sin in this world, because of his sin nature, because of our sin nature.

Examples:

Yesterday I heard a kid in our neighborhood say "I don't want to go with him...I might get raped" about another little boy. WHAT?! Then he laughed..like that was funny? How is that even a joke..how does he know what that even is? That kid couldn't have been more than 11 years old..IF THAT.

Today I was walking in Sears and I saw a section for girls clothes...Girls Plus. With a picture of a little girl. I'm sorry. Girls Plus section? How many little girls struggle with self esteem and feeling bad about who they are and what they look like..and to pick a precious little girl (who was BEAUTIFUL) by the way..and put her on a picture for girls plus. To single little girls out who may not be as tiny as the others. Seriously.

Then I read this article yesterday. Forgive the harsh title..it has a point. Seriously..push up bras for little girls?

Then I saw a little girl walking around in a pair of jean shorts and a bikini top in our neighborhood and I wanted to stop my car and give her a t-shirt. It's scary.

There's another kid in our neighborhood that likes to call out to me...he says "Hey baby" then makes some inappropriate gestures. Haven't seen him in awhile...but I just wanted to cry. (Please don't think our neighborhood is bad..most of the precious kiddos here are just amazing!)

Once I saw a little girl - 3 years old- singing "My Humps" by the Black Eyed Peas. Word For Word. Not ok.

Or Teen Mom. Or 16 and Pregnant. Why are we not helping those girls? Why is it ok to put them on TV and watch as their worlds go out of control? For entertainment?

Or how about that Glee is supposed to be a family show...and then they have unbelievably inappropriate scenes. (I can't lie..I've watched Glee..I've even liked it...but I've also turned it off because it's almost made me sick)

Then I think about the kiddos in our foster care system..the ones who have been abused..physically, sexually, emotionally. Their innocence is taken and they NEVER deserved that.

How thankful I am for my Mom and Dad. Dad..I appreciate so much all those times you told me not to wear Abercrombie because of it's way too sexual advertising. Or how you always came and told me to be sure not to change in front of the window. Or for telling me to make sure that I saved my kisses for my husband. Or Mom..for making sure that I always dressed modestly. For never letting me call boys. For helping to realize I didn't need to be forward. All those years I felt like the biggest nerd...I'm so grateful now.

I learned the truth of this verse from you both:
Besides this, we have had earthly fathers who disciplined us and we respected them. Shall we not much more be subject to the Father of spirits and live? For they disciplined us for a short time as it seemed best to them, but he disciplines us for our good, that we may share his holiness. For the moment all discipline seems painful rather than pleasant, but later it yields the peaceful fruit of righteousness to those who have been trained by it.
(Hebrews 12:9-11 ESV)

ALL this to say...Lord Jesus please protect these little ones. They are his. I know that this world is broken..and I know that until Jesus returns...that's not going to change. I just pray that in this home it will be different. I wish we could protect Noah from all this...our children to be also - but we only can to a point. But...I pray that God will protect Him in a way that we can't.

And calling to him a child, he put him in the midst of them and said, “Truly, I say to you, unless you turn and become like children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven. Whoever humbles himself like this child is the greatest in the kingdom of heaven. “Whoever receives one such child in my name receives me, but whoever causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to have a great millstone fastened around his neck and to be drowned in the depth of the sea.

(Matthew 18:2-6 ESV)

I apologize for the rant.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thank you for a beautiful post. My sentiments exactly! God Bless!

Grandma and Grandpa said...

Well said, Rach! When you are a great grandmother you will look back and say did Nana & Papa, and Grandma & Grandpa have these concerns about all of US like this? It never goes away, but with our kids and grandkids God blessed us sooo much. YOU know the answer. and you are doing exactly the right thing! Pray, and Pray, and Pray some more. Love you guys!