Sunday, October 28, 2012

Bink Be Gone

Alright.  Yet another parenting move I thought we wouldn't fall prey too.  The binky.

Before a year old Noah could have it during the day, but we soon cut it off except for naps/bedtime/airplanes and some public outings.  At home we try not to give it to him.

Well since we've moved, we seem to have regressed.  All of us.  We parents give it to him...because we don't want a scene, or we want him to be able to sleep.  He grabs it if he sees it out of his crib.  

OH NO.  

So tonight we cut it off.  Cold turkey...took it away.  

And then three hours later we gave in.  He got it back. Oops. 

I think tomorrow we're cutting the tips off.  I think that might work better than this cold turkey stuff..so he at least thinks he has it. 

Goofy boy didn't cry until the end.  For 2 1/2 hours he just talked/giggled/played in the crib.  At the end he was so tired he just cried.  Until Brad came and handed me the bink to give to him, at which point he gave in to his exhaustion and hasn't made a peep since. 

But tomorrow we're starting boot camp.  It's time..the thing has to go.  Baby Duey is on the way and we really don't want Noah regressing once that happens. 

Next up is possible potty training.  Brad has been wanting me to try this, and I have been in total rebellion against that.  I  doput him on the potty pretty much once a day every day..and he usually goes.  He never fusses, he just goes. So after the bink..I supposed I'll try it.  But I am in no hurry.  I want it to work when we really do potty train.  And I'm not convinced he's ready.  I suppose the fact that he is interested and goes almost every time even just a bit is a good sign.  I guess the mama in me isn't ready for him to be grown up enough to understand the potty. And if you are thinking he's not even two yet and there's no way he's ready...we are going to be realistic about this.  Not force it.  We just figure if he shows interest lets go with it. 

That's about it for now.   Have a great week!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Some people find this way disgusting but we let our girls run around without a diaper or pants and they potty train so fast. They learn the feeling very quickly as they can see it - add in a small treat for going on the spotty and we are golden. This is often how the Chinese do it but they also have a grandparent living with them most the time so there's another set of hands for running them to the John.